How to Add Products on Amazon Central in Six Simple Steps
It's Brian, twin number two, and today I want to discuss the best and worst ways to create your Amazon product listing. But first, here's a little about me.
Arek, my twin brother, and I are e-commerce experts helping millions build successful businesses, learn foolproof tactics, and unlock financial success. We offer our students' tried and tested tactics alongside expert guidance to steer their businesses in the right direction. Today, Arek and I have a website, a coaching program, and a YouTube channel full of helpful resources to help newbies kickstart successful e-commerce businesses.
With over 350 million unique products, Amazon offers new sellers immense opportunities to create e a successful e-commerce brand. In addition, Amazon Seller Central provides you access to over 310 million customers to showcase your product listing. Unfortunately, navigating the platform isn’t always easy, especially if you’re a newbie.
If you’re planning to create your first product listing but can’t figure out Amazon’s confusing features, this guide is for you! Below we discuss the steps to adding your product listing on Amazon and tips to optimize it to drive traffic. You can also click on this video, where I talk about the six ways to add products to your Amazon seller account.
Create Your Product Listing on Amazon- Why and How to Do It?
So, you’ve found the perfect product to sell on Amazon; what next? You need to create a stunning product listing and go live to ensure you’re visible to your target audience.
Simply put, your product listing is your storefront, offering buyers an in-depth view of your product description, images, and customer reviews. Without one, you won’t attract any impressions or make sales.
To help you out, I’ve created an in-depth, step-by-step guide to creating a product listing. By the end, you’ll also know what a good and bad product listing look like and how you can kick-start your product listing journey. Let’s get started!
P.S. If you’re not a fan of reading, you can watch the article’s video edition here.
A Quick Glance at Amazon Product Listings
Before we dive into how you can create stunning product listings, let’s discuss why new sellers need to create an Amazon listing.
Amazon product listings are the product page for every item you sell. It features images and videos of your products, customer reviews, and product descriptions, including its title, photos, price, and info. Thus, your listings offer buyers the necessary knowledge to feel confident in their purchase and boast the “Add to Cart” button that motivates them to buy the item.
As a seller, your goal is to craft a beautiful storefront, i.e., a product page, to attract buyers and grow sales. But that’s not all! Here’s what your product listing helps you achieve:
- Increases visibility by ranking your products in Amazon searches
- Boosts brand awareness by allowing buyers to see your products in Amazon’s marketplace
- Fosters brand trust and credibility by showcasing to viewers your customer reviews and ratings
- Drives traffic to your brand and encourages shoppers to choose your products
- Allows you to take your business to the next level by investing in product listing optimization
Step-by-Step Guide to Listing Products on Amazon
Now let’s discuss two simple yet effective ways to create a stunning listing on Amazon:
Method 1- Using the Add “Products via Upload” Button
Here’s how it works:
Step # 1: Sign In to Your Seller Central Account
Log into your Seller Central account and select “Add Products via Upload” under the inventory drop-down menu. The method is beneficial for various product listings but is trickier.
Besides this, it offers countless advantages, such as helping save time and improving efficiency once you learn how to use the Flat File (Excel Template).
Step # 2: Fill in the Required Information
Next, Amazon requires you to choose a product category, the Amazon marketplace, and the template type. Once done, click on the “Generate Template” button.
Step # 3: Choose Your Template
Once Amazon generates your template, you can open the file in Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel. The sheet features various tabs located at the bottom, including:
- Browse Data- As the name suggests, this button allows you to browse relevant data
- Data Definitions- This section is ideal for newbies who want to learn to navigate the “Products via Upload” button. It includes helpful definitions to ensure you don’t run into challenges while uploading your product listing and images
- Example- This sheet highlights actionable tips and strategies to upload your first product listing through vivid examples
- Images- This section allows you to add attention-grabbing images emphasizing your product’s primary features and benefits
- Instructions- This sheet boasts in-depth, step-by-step instructions to facilitate uploading. You’ll discover insights into what the definition tab features, valid values you can use, and how you can print your template
- Template- This section includes your template alongside the information you’re required to fill in, such as brand name, product type, manufacturer name, product ID, seller SKU, etc.
- Valid Values- This emphasizes the acceptable values and units
Read the instructions page to learn how to fill out the templates and different definitions. It also includes directions to complete specific columns to ensure you don’t face any challenges.
Step # 4: Start Filling Out the Template
The next step is simple: fill the Excel Google Spreadsheet with relevant product information.
Step # 5: Upload Your File to Amazon Seller Central
After completing the spreadsheet, download the file and click on your Amazon Seller Central account.
In the same bar where you saw the “Generate Your Template” button, you’ll find an “Upload Your Inventory File” option. Click on it to upload your product listing.
Step # 6: Monitor Your File
Uploading your Amazon product listing template takes time, so you can log off and wait for Amazon to send you an email.
Alternatively, you can click the “Monitor Your File” button to check its status. You’ll also get notified about any errors in your template here.
Method 2- Create Your Own Amazon Product Listing
If you’re selling a unique product that isn’t listed on Amazon yet, you can follow these steps to create a brand-new listing:
Step # 1: Click the “Add a Product” in Seller Account
Start by logging into your Seller Central account and clicking on the “I’m Adding a Product Not Sold on Amazon” button.
Step # 2: Choose Your Product Category
Next, Amazon asks you to select the relevant product category. Let’s assume we’re selling an AirTag wallet for men.
We’ll check out our top competitor’s categories and subcategories to identify the right product category. For our example, the type is Clothing, Shoes, & Jewelry > Men > Accessories > Wallets, Card Cases, & Money Organizers > Wallets.
Step # 3: Hit the “Select” Button to Dive Deeper
In the next section, Amazon will ask for your unique product ID. There are two methods to complete this task:
Purchase a Universal Product Code
You can purchase your product ID, typically a UPC barcode, from GS1. Here, you can find unique identifications at low prices.
Remember to purchase an ID only from GS1 because Amazon will verify that your UPC is legitimate once you upload it. Here’s how you can buy yours:
- Visit GS1’s GTIN page
- Enter your brand name and a compelling product description
- Wait for GS1 to give you an accurate quote
- Click on “Add to Cart” to get your unique UPC!
Skip the hassle of purchasing a UPC by getting a GTIN exemption. Simply apply to be a brand owner on Amazon to eliminate the need to associate a product code to your listing.
The best part? You can save up to $200 to $300 by not purchasing a UPC. Let’s discuss how you can apply for GTIN exemption:
- Select the right product category and subcategory
- Enter your unique brand name on Amazon
- Hit the “Check for Eligibility” button to determine whether you’re GTIN exempt
- Upload the “Proof” required by Amazon, including your product and packaging
Add Product Identity Information
Once you follow one of the two tactics discussed above, you can fill in the Product ID box. If you get GTIN exempted, you’ll notice the “External Product ID” button won’t have an asterisk next to it.
However, if you purchase a Universal Product Code, you’ll have to copy-paste it.
Step # 3: Fill the Boxes Amazon Requires
After filling in your Product ID, Amazon requires you to add your item and brand name. For instance, we’ll use“AirTag Wallet for Men” as our item name and enter a unique company title.
Once done, hit the “Continue” button to get to the next step.
Step # 4: Click the “Continue” Option to Complete Listing Data
Next, Amazon asks for the following additional information:
- Vital Info- This button represents crucial personal info about you and your brand. When you click on it, Amazon asks you to fill in the following boxes:
- Item Type Name
- Model Number
- Model Name
- Offer- This provides in-depth information about your Amazon listing, including:
- Contribution SKI
- Your Price
- Offering Condition Type
- Fulfillment Channel
- Product Details- The most insightful section of your product listing, product details comprises information relevant to your product. It entails a vivid product description, size, color, and dimensions variations. Furthermore, it includes:
- Product Description
- Bullet Points
- Special Features-
- Department Name
- Material Type
- Color Map
- Part Number
- Pocket Description
- Care Instructions
- Form Factor
- Leather Type
- Closure Type
- Item Depth Front to Back
- Item Depth Unit
- Height Top to Bottom
- Height Depth Unit
- Item Width Side to Side
- Item Width Unit
- Wallet Compartment Type
- Safety and Compliance- This section includes the safety and compliance laws your product follows. Furthermore, it ensures your item adheres to your country’s rules and regulations and promises the user’s safety.
- Shipping- Amazon sellers have to specify their shipping method and relevant details in this area.
Step # 5: Fill in the “Not” Important Information to Boost Visibility
While creating your product listing, you’ll notice that Amazon requires you to fill in specific fields, not all. I recommend completing the following two sections as well to create an attractive product listing:
- Variations- In this area, you’ll have to define the variations in your products by determining the following parameters:
- Images- Attracting qualified traffic to your product listing requires high-quality and vivid images. Here, Amazon allows sellers to add attention-grabbing pictures that showcase your product’s features and benefits. The platform enables you to add up to nine unique images.
However, ensure you follow Amazon’s styling guidelines to capture organic traffic, including using 500-1000 pixels images with the product filling up to 85% of the area. Additionally, ensure you only use JPEG, TIFF, or GIF images.
Step # 6: Hit “Save and Finish” to Create Your Very Own Product Listing
Once you fill in all the information required, hit the “Save and Finish” button to go live!
Create a Stunning Product Page- What to Do and What Not to Do?
By now, you know the steps to create an Amazon product listing. However, there are some tips you need to learn to create a listing that converts.
Let’s discuss what you should and shouldn’t do while creating a product listing by looking at two examples:
Example # 1: Genuine Leather Slim AirTag Wallet with Pull-tab
The first product I will dive into is the Genuine Leather Slim AirTag Wallet with Pull-tab for Easy Card Access by Lumberjack Plaid.
At first glance, the product listing’s quality is subpar. Not only are the photos unappealing, but it also lacks branding. Furthermore, it lacks in-depth information, A+ content, and a detailed product description.
Besides this, the brand has only three FAQs and average customer reviews and ratings.
Example # 2: AirTag Wallet for Men- Ultra Slim Men's AirTag Wallet with 8 Slots RFID Blocking Front Pocket
The second example we’ll look at is the AirTag Wallet for Men-Leather Wallet Case for Apple AirTag and Cards by the Alpha Pair Store. Unlike the first product listing, this one boasts premium quality and vibrant branded images with benefits and features written below.
Furthermore, the product listing includes attractive, value-driven videos, detailed product descriptions, and stunning A+ content. It includes in-depth and eye-catching infographics, influencer promotions, and 50+ questions.
Thus, it’s easy to see which product listing stands out.
So, What Should You Do?
Crafting a compelling product listing is an art. From keyword optimizing your listings to adding attention-grabbing images, there’s a lot of sellers have to worry about. Here’s a quick rundown of the critical elements of a killer product listing:
- SEO-Driven Keywords- Search Engine Optimization allows you to rank higher in Amazon’s search engine, which helps drive customers to your product listing. You can optimize your listing for keywords by using an Amazon tool like Helium 10
- In-depth Product Descriptions- Creating a comprehensive, accurate, and attention-grabbing product description allows you to foster brand credibility and trust. Consequently, you can capture leads and grow sales.
- Scannable Formatting- Your viewers will not read your entire product listing. Ensure your listing is easy-to-read and scannable. That way, you can capture the reader’s attention within 10 seconds.
- Eye-Catching Visuals- Research shows that our brains process visual content 600,000 times faster than words! Remember to include high-resolution images and adjust the contrast to attract buyers.
I recommend using the FBA Studio to optimize your product listings. Not only does it help you create captivating and informative infographics, but it also aids in writing stellar copies. The platform also helps you craft stunning A+ content to get the most out of your product listing and drive traffic to your website.
Besides this, you can use Helium 10 to conduct in-depth keyword research and access listing optimization services. The tool offers multiple Chrome extensions to ease optimizing your listing. You can also use my discount code “ZAB6M20” to enjoy 20% off your first six months or “THEZABTWINS10” to get 10% forever.
The Bottom Line
Creating a new Amazon listing doesn’t have to be that hard. Follow the steps discussed above to create a stunning product listing that converts. Remember to keyword optimize your product descriptions and title, and use vivid images to capture customers and drive qualified traffic.
Increase your sales by keeping the elements of a stunning product listing in mind. If you find it challenging to craft your listing or need help choosing the right words, you can reach out to Arek and me. You can also surf our blog and YouTube channel to explore strategies and tactics to create your Amazon brand.