The Ultimate Guide to Selling on Amazon (Step-by-Step Guide)
It’s Brian, and today, I’ve got an exciting guide for you. But before we jump in, allow me to introduce myself. My twin brother, Arek Zabierek, and I are executive Amazon coaches helping people build successful businesses and discover their inner potential. With his analytical mind and my outside-of-the-box ideas, we’ve aided over 150 students in achieving financial success.
If you’re one of 305 million entrepreneurs planning an online business, selling on Amazon might be the perfect way to start. Unfortunately, 90% of startups fail, and up to 20% collapse within a year. But why do so many companies fall short? The answer is a lack of research, targeting the wrong market, and running out of money.
But wait, what about the 10% who succeed? These people choose the perfect business model, product, and target audience. Most importantly, they know how to identify business opportunities, capitalize on their growth, and recover from blows. And here’s the thing: you can do this too- with Amazon FBA.
According to research, 63% of Amazon sellers achieve profitability within a year! If you’re wondering how I’ve created a comprehensive guide to starting your Amazon FBA from scratch below. I’ll also discuss tips and tricks to find the ideal first products and create a compelling product line. You can also watch this video, where I unveil the three steps to kick-starting a successful Amazon business.
How to Create an Amazon FBA Business from Scratch?
Selling on e-commerce marketplaces like Amazon helps retailers reduce overhead costs and boost profits without sacrificing quality and convenience. If you’re seeking a flexible business model that allows you to set your working hours and increase profits, it’s time to join the Amazon marketplace!
With FBA, you can forward your products to Amazon’s warehouse. The multi-billion dollar marketplace stores inventory, packages your orders, and ships them to the customer. Amazon also manages customer support and returns. Yes, with the right product, it’s that simple!
In this guide, I’ll discuss how finding, sourcing, and marketing a winning Amazon product can help you grow a successful Amazon brand. Let’s dive in!
P.S. Not a fan of reading? You can watch the video format of this article here.
Step # 1: Finding Profitable Products
Although Amazon offers sellers an endless range of products, this massive opportunity can be daunting for newbies looking to launch their first product. The key to narrowing product ideas and finding the one that promises the most revenue.
As an Amazon FBA retailer, your goal is to find in-demand products and capitalize on their popularity. However, you need a product in a niche that’s popular but not saturated. How? Let’s take an in-depth look:
Identify What a Winning Product Looks Like
Here’s the truth: not every product on Amazon sells. . To win on Amazon, you need to understand what sells, why it sells, and how people search for the product.
Thus, Amazon sellers need to follow stringent criteria to pinpoint profitable products. It includes:
- High Demand- Before you choose a product, evaluate its competitiveness. You should pick one that has at least 300 sales per month.
- Low Competition- You want to find products with little competition as a new seller. If many people are already selling it, you’ll struggle to reach the top of the rankings.
- Fewer Reviews- Social proof is everything on Amazon. If the top products in your target niche have thousands of reviews, it’ll be impossible to stand out. Instead, seek markets with less than 400 reviews.
- Opportunity to Differentiate- The key to finding a profitable product is ensuring it offers product differentiation opportunities. Look for a product you can tweak to serve your target audience better. Remember, the better you understand your ideal customer persona, the easier it will be to find your USP, and the quicker you can scale your brand.
- Costs 25-30% of Sales Price- Choose a product that you can sell for up to four to five times what it costs to source it from your supplier. If not, all your money will go down the drain.
Use State-of-the-Art Amazon Tools
As a new seller, you’ll likely have a list of products you want to start selling. Testing the product’s viability and demand can be time-consuming and exhausting. Fortunately, many innovative software products aid in finding profitable Amazon products.
Using robust Amazon tools like Helium 10, Jungle Scout, or Viral Launch can ease pinpointing a product that fits your search criteria. In addition, these platforms will provide you with necessary product information, including the average price, sales, best-selling ranks, reviews, and more!
Psst…you can use my discount codes, “ZAB6M20” and “THEZABTWINS10,” you can enjoy 20% off your first six months or 10% forever on Helium 10!
Step # 2: Sourcing Products
Once you find your product- or narrow your list- it’s time to find a supplier. As intimidating as this sounds, sourcing the ideal supplier is not tricky.
With the right tactics, you can spot the perfect Amazon seller and boost your profit margin from 30 to a whopping 40% off. Let’s discuss how you can find quality suppliers:
Find the Right Suppliers
Thousands of Amazon suppliers can manufacture and supply any product you want. To narrow the list down to merchants who can create the highest quality products, you’ll have to take the following steps:
- Research Suppliers- Start by determining which e-commerce marketplace you’ll research suppliers. I recommend using Alibaba or 1688 to tap into a massive pool of top-notch suppliers.
- Assess Their Products- Mitigate the risk of scams by doing your homework. Always double-check your supplier’s certifications to ensure it’s a legitimate business. Once done, assess their products to ensure it meets industry standards.
- Request Prototypes- The next step is asking for prototypes to test quality control. Consider using a third-party service like Movely to receive an unbiased view and in-depth report of your desired product’. . That way, you can make an informed business decision and avoid unsatisfied customers and negative reviews.
- Figure Out the Logistics- From supplier costs to shipping fees, there’s a lot you need to figure out before a product reaches Amazon’s warehouse. Ensure you factor in each price and open up an online bank to ease sending, receiving, and holding money. A bonus of using an online money transfer solution like Wise is you won’t have to worry about local banks’ high conversion fees.
- Ask for a Quote- Diversify your research and ask for quotes from multiple sellers to gauge who best matches your standards and budget.
Step # 3: Launching Your Product
Research shows that 74% of buyers begin their searches on Amazon. With the right product listing, you can discover how to maintain your brand while increasing your visibility among the target market.
Your product listing lets you show off your inventory to increase your click-through rate and search visibility to drive sales. But there are certain elements you need to nail down to craft a compelling storefront. How? Let’s take a closer look:
Create an Attention-Grabbing Product Listing
Your Amazon listing is how customers see and purchase your product, so you must drill down every aspect. Here’s how you can create a stunning listing:
- Catchy Product Titles- First impressions matter, and your product title is the first thing buyers notice. To drive traffic to your product listing, you must create an eye-catching and optimized title
- Bullet Points- While product titles focus on captivating the reader, bullet points focus on offering information. Create concise and relevant points that illustrate what and how your product works. Remember to modify your brand tone to match your target audience’s needs.
- Keyword Optimized Product Description- Create a stellar product description to grab your target audience’s attention and keep them hooked. Ideally, your product description should cover the products’ size, color, benefits, and unique features.
- High-Resolution Images- 90% of information transmitted to our brain is visual, so don’t miss out on the opportunity to capture customers through vivid imagery. Follow Amazon’s guidelines to create high-resolution pictures that speak for themselves
- Amazon A+ Content- If you’re a registered brand, consider replacing the product description with A+ content. Consequently, you can replace long bullet points with catchy images customized to resonate with your ideal buyer customer.
If creativity isn’t your strongest suit, consider partnering with ProductPinion and the Fba Studio. That way, you can get professional help creating striking infographics, copywriting, branding, and white box photography.
How Long Does It Take to Start Selling on Amazon?
Getting started on Amazon isn’t tricky; you can get started within a few days. However, building a successful business requires constant learning, improvements, and investment.
Remember, the more you invest in your venture, the better results it will reap.
The Bottom Line
As you can see, with a robust business strategy and tools, setting up your Amazon FBA brand isn’t that challenging. Follow the steps we discussed to discover your first Amazon product, connect with quality suppliers, and launch your product listing to build a successful Amazon FBA business.
If you’re struggling to find a winning Amazon product, contact Arek and me by booking a call today! Not only can we provide proven tactics to spot profitable opportunities, but we’ll also offer foolproof tips and tricks to find suppliers and optimize your listing.
You can also check out my YouTube channel or similar blogs to determine whether Amazon FBA is the right calling for you!